Besides the regular hotels, resorts, hostels, and mass transit systems, there are a few other resources tech nomads use when they travel. While the following networks do help us save money by providing free places to stay or transportation, the goal is much deeper. These networks allow us to experience unconventional adventure, engage in cultural immersion, connect with the locals, and give back to the places we travel through work exchanges and volunteering. When given a chance and used properly, these are all powerful tools for experiencing new worlds.
Hosting and Accommodation:
- BeWelcome –
- TrustRoots –
- Couchsurfing – Find a free couch to surf worldwide and meet locals.
- HelpX – Free volunteer work exchange abroad.
- Work-A-Way – The site for travel, language, and work exchange. Help out and get housed and fed. Sign up fee.
- WWOOF – World wide opportunities on organic farms. Sign up fee.
- Squat the Planet – A networking forum for alternative adventurers of the world.
- Care Taker – House sitting jobs worldwide.
- Busking Tips for Musicians – 25 Powerful Tips For Musicians
- Busker Central – Street performers and buskers reference site.
- How to Make Money Busking – great resource from wikihow.
Hitch-Hiking Land & Ocean:
- HoboLifestyle.com – Travel stories and advice through writing, a podcast, pictures and videos.
- Hitch-Hiking.org – All about hitch-hiking.
- Digihitch – Hitchhiking, rail and road travel tips.
- Cruiser Log – Hitch hiking across the oceans as sailing crew.
- Cruise Seekers – find a boat and join a crew to sail with. sign up fee.
- Mark Beaumont Online – The man who broke a Guinness World Record cycling the world.
- Cycling Around the World – Comprehensive guide with tips on cycling around the world.
- Bicycle Touring Around the World – Blog from an American cycling around.
- Roll Global – Blog from a cycling couple.
- World Biking – Blog from a bicycle nomad couple.
RV’ing & Road Trips:
- Technomadia – All you ever wanted to know about RV’ing across America and being a nomad.
- Road Trip USA – Tips from America’s roads.
- NuRVers – Resource for RVers.
Packing & Travel Tips:
- 5-Things You Should Pack – Our list of the top low-tech items for the conscious tech nomad.
- Live Mocha – Free language exchange for people all over the world.
- Point it! – Awesome picture dictionary that works in any country. Just point, don’t mime.
Successful Nomads & Must-Visit Websites:
- Everything Everywhere – The ultimate round the world travel blog with Gary Arndt.
- Where the Hell is Matt? – Great world travel blog and home to the famous dancing Matt video.
- Thrilling Heroics & The Digital Nomad Academy – The man, and our personal favorite go-to guy, Cody Mckibben.
- Tour Du Monde – Amazing travel blog from a world hitch hiker and filmmaker touring the world for 5 years.
- Wild Junket – Adventure travel writer extraordinaire Nellie Huang’s blog.
- Location Independent – Resources for becoming location independent.
Other Useful Communities & Networks:
- Square Mouth – Compare Travel Insurance. Don’t travel without it!
- Wiser Earth – The Social Network for Sustainability.
- Tribe – Member-created groups for every interest.
- MeetUp – Organize events and gatherings.
Please contact us if you have a website to add to the list!
One thought on “Travel Resources”